Caring Across Generations
Senior Manager, People & Culture
Position: Full Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Start Date: As soon as possible
Work Location: Remote within the United States
About Caring Across Generations:
Caring Across Generations (CAG) is a national campaign working to make care more affordable and accessible at every stage of life, while making sure caregivers are treated with respect and dignity. Founded in 2011 by Sarita Gupta and Ai-jen Poo, our campaign is focused on creating change in three ways: organizing a powerful movement of the Caring Majority – the majority of Americans who are directly affected by the need for care, fighting for groundbreaking policy at the state and federal level, and changing hearts and minds through storytelling and cultural organizing.
About the Position
The Senior Manager, People & Culture, will be responsible for designing, developing, and implementing strategies to attract, engage, and develop employees and build a high-performance/low-ego culture on the campaign.
You’re a motivated and experienced HR professional with a focus on aligning Human Resource objectives with campaign goals and a passion for team member support.
The Senior Manager, People & Culture provides strategic HR advice and expertise, works across the campaign to support performance management, employee relations and engagement, diversity, equity and inclusion, policy and procedure development and implementation, and HR compliance.
- Implement organizational culture, values and policies with justice, inclusion and equity as the key foundations of your work, implementing strategies to increase diversity and inclusion within the organization.
- Participate in coaching, counseling and advising management and staff to ensure resolution of employment related matters.
- Partner with internal stakeholders to implement strategies for employee engagement and retention.
- Work with the Director of Operations to ensure strong communication with our fiscal sponsor, National Domestic Workers Alliance on human resources and legal issues to ensure Caring Across is following all labor laws and human resources best practices.
- Update and manage onboarding, offboarding, and training standards as needed including creating and maintaining the staff development opportunities.
- Develop strategies within the campaign focusing on leadership, team building, and the measurement of outcomes through quarterly staff surveys and other initiatives.
- Oversee the employee annual evaluation process and maintain personnel files.
- Implement internal diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) work by supporting internal affinity groups, reviewing and updating policies, practices and culture, planning team-wide conversations, working with external consultants and engaging with the Management Team to integrate best DEI practices for the campaign.
- Manage complex workplace issues including grievances, performance improvement, conduct and other investigations, and work with NDWA’s Human Resources team to elevate matters when necessary to building a collaborative, inclusive and productive working environment.
- Identify, analyze and review emerging HR trends to provide evidence-based and industry best practices recommendations.
Influence campaign and culture changes needed to achieve the campaign’s strategic objectives by cultivating a commitment to change and helping team members overcome resistance to change.
- 6-8 years of HR Generalist experience, with 2-4 years focused on building positive staff culture.
- HR Certification highly desirable.
- Successful track record of establishing credibility and trust with a diverse staff, including senior leaders.
- Proven success in navigating employee relations challenges.
- Experience managing diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives and deep demonstrated commitment to anti-racist practices.
- Knowledge of labor law (or where to get relevant info) and HR best practices.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and understanding of group dynamics, with the ability to advocate for both staff and management.
- Demonstrated ability to advise on and implement organizational change, with a highly proactive style of work, with a demonstrated track record of developing innovative approaches.
- Demonstrated end-to-end experience in the development and execution of organization-wide initiatives.
- Excellent facilitation and oral and written communication skills; ability to prepare clear and concise reports and deliver formal presentations or training to senior management and other audiences.
How to Apply
Candidates will be considered on a rolling basis until it is filled, but preference will be given to those who apply by midnight ET on August 5, 2021.
Submit your application on Bamboo. Applications should include:
- A resume
- Answers to the following questions in lieu of a cover letter:
- Share the topics of 3-5 presentations or facilitated conversations that you have led that staff members really appreciated (100 words maximum).
- Tell us about your experience managing diversity, equity and inclusion processes (300 words maximum) with a diverse staff.
- What is one workplace policy or practice that you have seen improve a workplace and would advocate for (200 words maximum)?
Women, People of Color, People with Disabilities and LGBTQIA+ people are strongly urged to apply
Compensation, Benefits and Work Schedule
This is a full-time, exempt position, with occasional evening and weekend work based on need. The salary is $85,000 – $90,000 (non-negotiable). We have offices in Washington DC and New York City, but the job is remote within the United States.
Caring Across Generations is a project of, and fiscally sponsored by, National Domestic Workers Alliance. NDWA offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
Generous Benefits, including 5+ weeks of paid time off annually, including 3 weeks of office closure, most federal holidays, 12 days of vacation, and 12 sick days (prorated to the start date).