Title: Digital Director
Position: Full Time
Reports To: Managing Director
FLSA Status: Exempt
Start Date: As soon as filled
Work Location: Remote
About Caring Across Generations:
Caring Across Generations is a national campaign that brings together all people touched by care — family caregivers, care workers, older adults, and people with disabilities — to transform the way we care in this country, and to create an inclusive society that helps all of us reach our full potential, live well, and age with dignity. Founded in 2011 by worker activists Sarita Gupta and Ai-jen Poo, the campaign has worked with federal partners on a historic win to extend federal minimum wage and overtime protections to home care workers, and in 2018, helped Washington state create the nation’s first universal public program for long-term care. It also develops and implements culture change strategies with the entertainment industry to shift how our society values care on a broader level.
Caring Across is entering our ambitious next phase: launching a national campaign for Universal Family Care (UFC), a new framework to cover caregiving needs at every stage of life. Care has been entering the public discourse as an issue that affects all of us, and needs a public solution. UFC is a holistic, comprehensive solution that responds to the interconnected nature of all care needs that families face. Everyone contributes and everyone benefits to receive access to benefits ranging from childcare to paid family and medical leave, to elder care to supports for people with disabilities, all through one easily navigable, financially stable system. UFC is forward-looking, rooted in smart economics and common sense, and fundamentally committed to advancing gender, racial, and economic justice.
Caring Across Generations is seeking a Digital Director who will build, grow, and lead our digital program. The Director will increase the visibility and engagement of the caregivers who comprise the core of our Caring Majority and bring new and representative caregivers into our campaign to transform how care is given, received and valued in this country.
The Digital Director, reporting to the Managing Director, will work closely with the communications, culture change, development, and the field and organizing teams. They should be an experienced manager, ready to recruit, hire, and train a team. They will oversee the day-to-day operations of the digital team, overseeing the website, social media, SMS, and email strategy for the organization.
They will have a big-picture, campaign-focused mindset that is informed by a deep understanding of the audience journey that can be accomplished through our digital platforms. The ideal candidate is a creative and strategic thinker, a person who will use their talents and drive in service of the campaign and our goals. They will be a proactive communicator who builds strategies and plans for the long-term, but who can also effectively operationalize and implement them, delivering high-quality work quickly and on deadline.
Specifically, your daily work will include the following responsibilities:
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the digital program and the Caring Across social media and email platforms. Build and manage a high-functioning, creative, agile and responsive team, including vendors.
- Actively engage in all initial planning meetings led by policy, organizing and field, and other teams where public engagement is necessary to build our base, move people to action, and recruit advocates who will help us advance the campaign’s mission.
- In coordination with internal teams, lead rapid response strategy and communications for social media and email.
- Partner with team leads to develop online advocacy and engagement campaigns that can directly support their work and help to build the digital Caring Majority community.
- Partner with team leads to develop narrative change or culture change campaigns
- Oversee creation of high-quality content across all digital platforms and targeted distribution to drive awareness around our campaign, our goals, and our mission.
- Create innovations that connect with, expand, diversify and organize our Caring Majority community through paid and organic outreach.
- Direct strategy, content, and editorial calendar decisions for social media, email, and digital campaigns and ensure they are closely aligned and coordinated with broader campaign strategies.
- Establish national digital engagement metrics: use Web/social network data and tracking systems to compile online engagement reports and monitor activity/success in digital channels.
- Lead digital partnerships with our allies to support our collective goals and mission.
- Preferred five to seven years of relevant digital experience that includes website, SMS, social media and email. (We will consider three to five years experience for exceptional candidates.)
- Demonstrated track record of developing and leading digital strategies and campaigns in a fast-paced, mission-driven environment.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills that have been honed on social and email platforms.
- Experience managing online rapid response moments.
- Experience coordinating projects that involve organizing, digital, and communications teams is a must.
- Experience with audience development and developing digital content with an eye for growth.
- Experience overseeing creative content production and distribution
- Strong management skills, great listener, the ability to set and meet deadlines, detail oriented and highly organized — all while driving results.
- Proven ability to build productive working relationships with team members at all levels of the campaign. Strong interpersonal, leadership, problem-solving skills, and a calm, even demeanor — even when time is tight and the pressure is on.
- A positive team player who is willing to go above and beyond to advance the issue and the people who are impacted by providing, receiving or experiencing caregiving every day.
- Strong social justice lens and an appetite to undo racism, sexism, misogyny, classism, ableism, homophobia, xenophobia, and other forms of oppression.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups and people.
- Strategic Thinking: applies big-picture thinking while also focusing on the details of implementation
- Decisiveness: consistently makes sound decisions in a timely manner that are supportive of our mission, values, and objectives.
- Collaboration: works effectively with various individuals and groups; willingly and actively listens and invites different views and opinions throughout the campaign to build alignment in support of a common goal.
- Transparency: consistently applies openness and honesty in communicating decisions and plans to team members. Accountability: follows through on commitments made to teams, colleagues, and partners in the work; proactively informs others of delays that occur; and holds team members and self accountable.
How to Apply
Candidates will be considered on a rolling basis until it is filled, but preference will be given to those who apply by midnight ET on February 18, 2020.
Please send application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications should include:
- A resume
- Answers to the following questions in lieu of a cover letter:
- What is your motivation for applying to this role? (suggested word limit: 200)
- What do you think is the most valuable thing you will bring to this role? (suggested word limit: 200)
- Tell us about a time you used one of the core competencies we list to oversee or produce high quality content to drive awareness around a campaign (suggested word limit: 200)
- Two writing samples (e.g. email campaign, social media toolkit, etc.).
Compensation, Benefits and Work Schedule
This is a full-time, non-exempt position, with occasional evening and weekend work based on need. The annual salary will be $80,000 – $90,000 commensurate with experience.
Caring Across Generations is a project of, and fiscally sponsored by, Bend the Arc: A Jewish Partnership for Justice. Bend the Arc offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental and vision benefits fully paid for by Bend the Arc for individual coverage and generous employer contribution of 80% toward monthly premiums for dependent and family coverage;
- Long and short term disability benefits fully paid for by Bend the Arc;
- 401K with employer contribution of 2% after your first year;
- Paid time off including:
- 15 vacation days during your first three years with an increase to 20 vacation days in your fourth year
- 12 sick days per year
- 23 paid holidays each year
- Generous Caregiving / Personal Leave of Absence policy with a Paid Leave Benefit that covers 3 weeks of paid leave for each year of employment, up to 12 paid weeks after four years on staff
- Adoption Assistance Program providing reimbursement of up to $1,500 for qualified adoption expenses;
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account;
- Flexible Spending Account or Health Savings Account for eligible health related expenses;
- Commuter Benefits;
- Employee Assistance Program;
- Life Insurance fully paid for by Bend the Arc;
- And more!
We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, and record of arrest or conviction. Bend the Arc is an equal opportunity employer.