Caring Across Generations
Email & Text Campaigner
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports To: Digital Director
Start Date: As soon as possible
Work Location: Remote within the United States
About Caring Across Generations:
Caring Across Generations (CAG) is a national campaign working to make care more affordable and accessible at every stage of life, while making sure caregivers are treated with respect and dignity. Founded in 2011 by Sarita Gupta and Ai-jen Poo, our campaign is focused on creating change in three ways: organizing a powerful movement of the Caring Majority – the majority of Americans who are directly affected by the need for care, fighting for groundbreaking policy at the state and federal level, and changing hearts and minds through storytelling and cultural organizing. We were behind the historic win to extend federal minimum wage and overtime protections to home care workers. In 2017 helped pass the nation’s first Family Caregiver benefit in the state of Hawaii. And in 2018, helped Washington state create the nation’s first universal public program for long-term care.
Since the beginning of the Coronavirus pandemic, we have used our email platform to respond to Coronavirus by providing family caregivers with opportunities to make an impact, by sending timely and relevant petitions, action alerts, event invites, and a regular newsletter. Our community of email constituents has responded enthusiastically to a variety of engagements, and our digital campaigns during this time have had participation from activists, elected officials, celebrities, and family caregivers.
About the Position
Caring Across Generations is seeking a creative, experienced Email and Text Campaigner to expand our email and text list, create engaging points of action, including petitions and forms to contact members of Congress, and build a new text messaging program for family caregiver outreach. The Email and Text Campaigner will be responsible for developing a strong narrative that advocates for transforming the way we care through email and text messaging platforms. They will need to create culturally competent content with a sharp analysis of race, class, and disability justice that resonates broadly.
- Identify and capitalize on opportunities for high-impact digital campaigns that will excite and engage our members, grow our activist base, and inspire change.
- Write compelling emails, create action alerts, including petitions, direct contact, and more, and landing page copy (often on tight deadlines) that connect our core issues to our core values.
- Collaborate with staff from the development department to write fundraising appeals
- Manage the email process from beginning to end: creating the email calendars, drafting and editing email copy, securing approval, determining the targeting universe, setting up and sending the emails through our CRM (EveryAction), analyzing the results to help us make better decisions going forward, and identifying appropriate next steps in the campaign.
- Take overall responsibility for the health of our email list, including leading the development and implementation of strategies to grow our email list and improve our action rates and retention rates.
- Develop, grow, and maintain a new text messaging program in collaboration with the organizing and field team to engage and mobilize family caregivers across the country in rapid response moments, including to sign petitions and attend events
- Track, maintain, interpret, and report on key metrics in ways that will help us hit our goals and inform our decision-making.
- Collaborate with the Digital Director, Social Media Manager, and Communications Team to shape Caring Across’ digital strategy and integrate it into our overall work to achieve our goals.
- Experiment with new tactics to tell caregiver stories, build our narrative arc, and engage our membership.
- Deep knowledge of family caregiving experience and the journey family caregivers and/or seniors and/or a person with a disability experiences navigating systems.
- Possess a strategic sense allowing you to identify political opportunities where grassroots and online activism can deliver progressive victories, and the ability to articulate the strategic rationale for our actions to diverse audiences.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in email advocacy, digital fundraising, or online organizing.
- Experience with a CRM or e-advocacy toolkit that integrate blast email ( EveryAction preferred, or such as Luminate Online, Action Network, etc)
- Experience using peer-to-peer and blast text message tools.
- Experience using a CMS (WordPress, Squarespace, etc.).
- Experience using basic HTML, CSS, and Excel.
- Experience writing action alerts and fundraising emails from scratch, and can do so quickly, often and well.
- Experience running an A/B tests on email and text, and have some comfort with data, digital analytics and email metrics.
- Write in a clear and compelling way, whether engaging emails to motivate our activists to take action or concise, informative updates to other staff members.
- Have a strong and consistent attention to detail, and the ability to handle many competing priorities without letting key tasks slip through the cracks.
When travel resumes, travel to quarterly staff retreats and occasional in person meetings are likely.
How to Apply
Candidates will be considered on a rolling basis until it is filled, but preference will be given to those who apply by midnight ET on April 4, 2021.
Submit your application on Bamboo. Applications should include:
- A resume
- Answers to the following questions in lieu of a cover letter:
- What tactics would you use to grow an email list with quality subscribers, without sacrificing authenticity and narrative cohesion? (suggested word limit: 200)
- Briefly, how would you approach building a new text message program from scratch to reach an audience of family caregivers? (suggested word limit: 200)
- Please share a writing sample, preferably sample of email writing for advocacy or fundraising
Compensation, Benefits and Work Schedule
This is a full-time, exempt position, with occasional evening and weekend work based on need. The salary is $75,000. We have offices in Washington DC and New York City.
Caring Across Generations is a project of, and fiscally sponsored by, National Domestic Workers Alliance. NDWA offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
Generous Benefits, including 5+ weeks of paid time off annually, including 3 weeks of office closure, most federal holidays, 12 days of vacation, and 12 sick days (prorated to the start date).