Caring Across Generations
Chief of Advocacy & Campaigns
Position: Full Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports To: Campaign Director
Direct Reports: Senior Advocacy Director and Campaigns Director
Start Date: As soon as possible
Work Location: Remote within the United States
About Caring Across Generations:
Caring Across Generations (CAG) is a national campaign working to make care more affordable and accessible at every stage of life, while making sure caregivers are treated with respect and dignity. Founded in 2011 by Sarita Gupta and Ai-jen Poo, our campaign is focused on creating change in three ways: organizing a powerful movement of the Caring Majority – the majority of Americans who are directly affected by the need for care, fighting for groundbreaking policy at the state and federal level, and changing hearts and minds through storytelling and cultural organizing.
About the Position
Caring Across Generations seeks an experienced, strategic and driven Chief of Advocacy & Campaigns who will have overall strategic and operational responsibility to formulate policy priorities and develop campaigns that advance those priorities. A new position within the Caring Across Generations Campaign, the Chief will work closely with the Campaign’s senior leadership to shape and implement the strategic programmatic vision for Caring Across Generations ensuring that our advocacy agenda and the campaigns we run to win policy change at the state and federal level are innovative, strategic and aligned with our core mission to change how care is given, valued and received in our country.
The Chief will be a thought leader and a key member of the management team that drives overall strategy, innovation, and organizational cohesion. The person will be closely involved in designing and managing a healthy organizational culture centered on the Campaign’s values of care for our communities, justice, well-being, learning, collaboration, trust, flexibility, intersectionality and transformation.
The Chief works closely with the Development Team to raise funds from individual and institutional funders. They represent the Campaign in public settings, provide leadership in multiple coalitions, and provide timely opinion and analysis to the Campaign’s management, staff, constituents, organizational partners, and donors on issues impacting the care infrastructure’s community of family caregivers, homecare workers, and care consumers.
The Chief will ensure our team is coordinated to win strategic and transformational policies for family caregivers who struggle to find and afford the care they need. They will effectively integrate strategies across Caring Across, while specifically overseeing and coordinating the co-creation of strategies and plans for our Advocacy and Campaigns Teams.
The person we hire will work with colleagues who are as dedicated and passionate about care, caregivers, and care workers as you are; who care deeply about racial and gender justice; and who, like you, are bold, strategic, and take responsibility for achieving substantial progress toward our mission every year.
The Chief will leverage existing relationships, build new ones, and work with our national partners to create meaningful and mutually beneficial collaborations that advance shared goals and secure impactful wins for family caregivers and care consumers, particularly centering low-income caregivers and caregivers of color in our policies and day-to-day work.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Strategic Development, Programmatic Design and Implementation, and Thought Leadership:
- Oversee a portfolio of campaigns and policy/legislative initiatives, and provide thought leadership to build a broad and sustainable base of programmatic and advocacy support for Caring Across
- Act as a thought partner to the Directors of Advocacy and Campaigns to develop, oversee and implement strategies that advance the Campaign mission
- Provide leadership and direction in setting budgets, policy goals and strategies, and advancing new ideas and innovations that align with our mission
- Leverage and steward strategic partnerships and relationships that help ensure the success of the Campaign and cultivate new relationships and networks to broaden the awareness and deepen the impact of the Campaign’s programmatic work.
- Identify priorities, gaps, and trends in program areas and make recommendations accordingly
- Represent and speak on behalf of the Campaign in multiple public settings.
- Create and support efforts to document the progress, successes and problems of projects
- Work effectively with diverse coalition members and build alliances with organizations across the political and ideological spectrum.
- Maintain key partnership relationships in collaboration with the Director and other members of the senior management team as part of an overall partnership strategy in support of advocacy and campaign goals.
- Team & Organizational Management
- Provide guidance, support, mentorship and direct supervision of the senior director of Advocacy and director of Campaigns. Create opportunities for team members’ leadership and professional development and ensure that Program team members are supported, valued, appreciated and motivated to produce high-quality work.
- Develop an integrated strategy for the Campaigns Team and Advocacy Team to bring them out of silos, inspiring them to collaborate effectively toward the overarching goals and priorities of the campaign.
- Lead the Strategy Team (comprised of senior campaign leaders), and work closely with the leads of all departments, including culture change, digital and communications to ensure our work is integrated and collaborative
- Work closely with Development Team members to raise funds from institutional funders and individual donors by cultivating current and new relationships with funders and soliciting and stewarding their investments.
- Work with the Senior Director of Development to identify opportunities to generate funds to support our advocacy and campaigning work
- Assist with the development of fundraising proposals and with activities that support the strategic positioning of the Campaign and its work.
- Serve as member of Caring Across’ management team, helping to build and sustain a positive culture
- Participate in the strategic planning and direction of the organization
- Help set annual organizational goals
- Ensure care givers and consumers are central to our policy, campaigning and communications work and develop new on and offline approaches to engaging greater numbers of caregivers
- Lead the development of Caring Across’ advocacy and campaigns agenda, developing effective policy recommendations informed by the experiences and expertise of caregivers and consumers and lead the team to produce a range of high-quality outputs including research and policy reports, consultation responses and other content
- Lead the development of impactful public facing campaigns underpinned by robust and rigorous research and policy with a clear role for care experienced people as campaigners
- Develop & manage the advocacy & campaigns budget
We’re seeking candidates who excel in relationship-building, are results-oriented, can be self-directed, and have exceptional strategic planning and execution, as well as project management skills. You should have:
- 12+ years of experience working for causes and movements at the state or federal level, political and/or advocacy campaigns, and/or Capitol Hill with a demonstrated experience with legislative campaigns and campaigns in broad coalitions.
- 5+ years of supervision experience of senior leaders and teams with demonstrated strong supervision skills of professional staff, simultaneous supervision of multiple staff, and experience with conflict management, evaluation, and staff development;
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in the development and implementation of advocacy campaigns at both the state and national level
- Demonstrated experience in program coordination and management, including supervision of senior-level staff and budget management
- Strong motivation and adaptability, including ability to work under pressure and with deadlines;
- Ability to operationalize vision, think strategically, innovate, creatively problem solve, exercise good judgment and lead change;
- Integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed with demonstrated passion for the Caring Across mission and commitment to working collaboratively with a management team of senior professionals;
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people;
- Demonstrated experience working effectively in a team environment
- Ability to integrate technology tools to achieve goals
- Deep understanding of national advocacy campaigning.
- Strong strategic and campaign planning skills and commitment to processes that ensure transparency and communication in carrying out the work.
- Familiarity with larger progressive movement players, partners, and allies.
- A demonstrated commitment to racial equity, gender justice, and to building a multicultural, anti-racist organization.
- Acts with high integrity, professionalism, low ego, and camaraderie.
When travel resumes, monthly travel is likely, in addition to quarterly staff retreats and occasional in person meetings with campaign leadership.
How to Apply
Candidates will be considered on a rolling basis until it is filled, but preference will be given to those who apply by midnight ET on August 17, 2021.
Submit your application on Bamboo. Applications should include:
- A resume
- Answers to the following questions in lieu of a cover letter:
- Tell us about your experience in overseeing a portfolio of campaigns and policy/legislative initiatives. (suggested word limit: 200)
- What was the largest team you have managed, and how did you structure it? How would your direct reports describe your management style? (suggested word limit: 200)
- What draws you to this position? Why do you want to join the Caring Across team in this role? (suggested word limit: 200)
Women, People of Color, People with Disabilities and LGBTQIA+ people are strongly urged to apply
Compensation, Benefits and Work Schedule
This is a full-time, exempt position, with occasional evening and weekend work based on need. The salary is $135,000 – $140,000 (non-negotiable). We have offices in Washington DC and New York City, but the job is remote within the United States.
Caring Across Generations is a project of, and fiscally sponsored by, National Domestic Workers Alliance. NDWA offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
Generous Benefits, including 5+ weeks of paid time off annually, including 3 weeks of office closure, most federal holidays, 12 days of vacation, and 12 sick days (prorated to the start date).