March 14th, 2023
Job Title: Social Media Manager
Status (FT/PT/Temporary): Full-time
Reports to: Senior Digital Director
FLSA Status (Exempt/Non-Exempt): Exempt
Work Location: Remote
Travel: 20% travel required for CAG events and retreats
Start Date: May 1, 2023
About Caring Across Generations:
Caring Across Generations (CAG) is a national campaign working to make care more affordable and accessible at every stage of life, while ensuring caregivers — both family caregivers and professional care workers, people with disabilities and aging adults are treated with respect and dignity.
Founded in 2011 by Sarita Gupta and Ai-jen Poo (who were the executive directors of Jobs with Justice and the National Domestic Workers Alliance, respectively), we take an explicitly intersectional approach to our work, connecting the dots between the urgent need to build a strong care infrastructure and the need for bold action on immigration reform, gender, racial, economic and disability justice and addressing the growing needs of our aging population.
Our campaign is focused on creating change in three ways:
- Fighting for groundbreaking policy at the state and federal level,
- Changing hearts and minds through storytelling and cultural organizing and
- Build a powerful constituency for care through online organizing and convening a powerful coalition of state and national care organizations and advocates to transform our nation’s care infrastructure.
The Social Media Manager will lead our social media strategy and day-to-day execution with an eye toward developing unique and engaging content that uplifts the voices and experiences of the Caring Majority – meaning family caregivers, parents, aging adults and disabled people. They will reinvigorate our social media channels with tried and true social media engagement tactics. They will transform our social media platforms to be a place where supporters, partners and experts come to read our timely analysis of external events as well as inspire our audiences to take action. They will create culturally competent content with a sharp analysis of race, class, disability and gender justice that resonates broadly.
The Social Media Manager will report to the Digital Director and will work closely with the full digital and communications teams.
- In collaboration with the Senior Digital Director, develop social media goals, strategies and tactics that focus on growing our channels (Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter) and consistently engaging our key audiences.
- Create and curate on-message, engaging and timely content across our social channels with precision that targets our core audiences.
- Dream up and produce online events that involve social media followers.
- Maintain real-time knowledge of current political developments, organizing best practices and public policy news.
- Work with the graphic and video design team to create creative and engaging social media content. As needed, create content in Canva.
- Help quickly coordinate digital responses at the speed of the news cycle that may include social visibility campaigns and sharing Caring Across statements.
- In conjunction with the Digital Organizing Manager, execute community management.
- IE) Monitor social media accounts for potential direct engagement with social followers, respond to comments and messages received and collaborate with other departments to develop social followers into activists.
- Review and synthesize social media analytics across platforms to determine areas for growth, identify best-performing content and be strategic about new opportunities for engagement.
- Create strategic toolkits for campaign and project pushes tailored toward specific audiences, including but not limited to partner organizations, celebrities and elected officials.
- Track emerging trends in social media and digital storytelling.
What great qualities do you possess?
- Minimum of 2-4+ years of experience in a social media role for an advocacy organization or elected official.
- A sharp analysis of race, class and disability justice that resonates broadly to create culturally competent content – along with an understanding of how to create accessible content across channels.
- Demonstrated ability to grow online audiences through engaging content.
- Exceptional writing, copyediting and proofreading skills in English.
- Must have some experience and a sharp eye for graphic and video design.
- The ability to dream up bold and creative content that helps grow our following.
- Solid understanding of social media trends, tools and strategies.
- Have a track record of using data and compiling digital analytics.
- Must be able to write in a clear and compelling way for supporters as well as staff members.
- Self-motivated, highly accountable to your team and effective working in a remote environment. Can balance the need for high-quality work with expediency to meet timelines and a diversity of priorities.
- Must be able to travel to campaign events along with quarterly staff retreats, occasional in-person meetings, conferences and professional development opportunities.
- Some experience with social media ad strategies.
- Some knowledge of the conditions and experiences of family caregivers and/or seniors and/or a person with a disability experience navigating our inadequate care systems is a bonus.
What we offer you in return and why you would love being a part of our team!
- We are 100% remote with ~20% travel to events (for social media coverage – this is mandatory), retreats and other organizational events.
- Care is in our name, it is deeply embedded in our culture, our team is mostly current or former caregivers. We are fully supportive of your well-being.
- We offer a generous virtual office budget which includes a home office set up, a cellphone stipend and internet stipend.
- Generous Paid Time Off and work flexibility, time off in the summer for a mini-sabbatical, 15 paid Holidays, 12 days of PTO and 12 days of sick leave, Paid Family Leave and time off at the end of year (2 weeks which lead into the new year).
- 401k 1-3% match after a year.
- 100% paid Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. Long-Term Disability is paid by the employee at a very minimal cost.
- We offer learning and growth opportunities, (including an allowance for Professional Development)
- You have an opportunity to live a values-aligned work-life.
- Employee Discount Programs with discounts stores, travel and restaurants all over.
- A fun team environment, even while we are busy changing the world
How to apply
Candidates will be considered on a rolling basis until it is filled, but preference will be given to those who apply by March 27th, 2023.
Please apply at this link: https://caringacross.bamboohr.com/careers/25
- A resume
- Answers to the following questions in lieu of a cover letter:
- What tactics would you use to grow our social media channels with quality followers without sacrificing authenticity and narrative cohesion? Briefly include specific strategies for Facebook, Instagram, Linked In and Twitter (suggested word limit: 350)
- Describe a time when you leveraged a moment in the world or “newsjacked” to speak to an issue on social. What did you do and what was the result? (suggested word limit: 200)
- Share your portfolio or 2-4 graphic or video assets you’ve created for social media.
- Please share a writing sample, preferably 4-6 social post samples but can also be an advocacy email or something similar.
Work schedule and organization details
This is a full-time, exempt position, with occasional evening and weekend work based on need. The salary is $80,000 based on experience.
Caring Across Generations is a project of and fiscally sponsored by the National Domestic Workers Alliance.
Caring Across Generations is committed to fostering and maintaining a work environment where diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) are fully integrated into everything we do. As such, we strongly prioritize and embrace Black, Indigenous and people of color; a multigenerational workforce; LGBTQ+; those across religious and spiritual affiliations; and people with disabilities to join our representative and highly talented team.