March 21st, 2023
Job Title: Senior Manager of State Communications
Status (FT/PT/Temporary): Full Time
Reports to: Senior Director of Communications
FLSA Status (Exempt/Non-Exempt): Exempt
Work Location: Remote with 20% travel expected for Caring Across events and staff retreats
Start Date: As soon as filled
About Caring Across Generations:
Caring Across Generations is a national campaign working to make care more affordable and accessible at every stage of life, while making sure caregivers are treated with respect and dignity. Founded in 2011 by Sarita Gupta and Ai-jen Poo, our campaign is focused on creating change in three ways: organizing a powerful movement of the Caring Majority — the majority of Americans who are directly affected by the need for care — fighting for groundbreaking policy at the state and federal level, and changing hearts and minds through storytelling and cultural organizing.
Caring Across Generations leads the national Care Can’t Wait coalition and is actively building and/or coordinating state-wide coalitions in California, Georgia, Illinois, Michigan, and New York. In support of the growing work led by the organization, Caring Across is seeking a diligent and conscientious Senior Manager of State Communications to join a highly effective and fast-paced team to develop and implement strategic communications initiatives across several states.
This role will work with the organization’s advocacy, campaigns, culture change, and digital teams to execute key strategic communication plans in the states, including earned media, digital marketing, and storytelling. Experience in nonprofit and policy advocacy communications is highly desired for this role. This position reports to the Senior Director of Communications and works in close coordination with the entire communications team to coordinate and implement a cohesive organizational communications, narrative, and brand strategy.
- With support from the Senior Director of Communications and in collaboration with the state campaigns teams, develop strategic communications plans in our priority states aligned with Caring Across’s strategic plan and values, working closely with the communications team to ensure that strategy, narrative, and media relationships are coordinated across the national and state-level work.
- Develop and implement the communication plans, messaging, and marketing strategies in priority states, leading the execution of communication initiatives from start to finish, leveraging internal and external support and driving collaboration across advocacy, culture change, and narrative change.
- Advise and support Caring Across campaign staff and program teams on communications strategies and best practices to elevate campaign and program effectiveness.
- With support from the Senior Director of Communications, develop and implement storytelling and narrative shift strategies in priority states in partnership with the culture change team.
- Ensure consistency in all communications materials, emphasizing organizational priorities and following a uniform organizational voice and style.
- Strategically advise diverse state coalition partners in communications and media initiatives.
- Track, evaluate, and report communications metrics to support continuous improvement and increased impact.
- Develop and distribute resources and training materials on communications and media best practices to internal and external audiences.
- Project manage the work and performance goals of consultants and other coalition members in priority states.
- Develop and implement comprehensive communications protocols, workflows, and work request and outcomes tracking systems
- Manage communications calendar and story banks in priority states.
- Distill complex issues around care and caregiving, including legislation and policy, into more broadly consumable content.
- Create and edit press releases, media alerts, talking points, op-eds, quotes, talking points, factsheets/one-pagers and other press materials for campaigns, events and program initiatives, including drafting pitches and pitching to journalists.
- Identify, maintain, build and track relationships with key reporters, outlets, and media allies.
- Helps maintain media databases and tracks state media placements.
- Manage media inquiries, develop media protocols, and support staff and external partners in preparing for media interviews in priority states.
- Lead the logistics of state-based press conferences and press calls and support national press conferences and press calls.
Web, Digital and Social Media
- Develop and post online content for news releases and blogs.
- Collaborate with the digital team to increase email list-building and social media audiences, with a lens towards strategic engagement, in priority states.
- Work with cross-functional teams to develop social media content/threads and help highlight campaign-related trends and articles for other teammates.
- Advise and support state coalition partners on digital and social media strategies and best practices.
What great qualities do you possess?
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, and/or a related field, or equivalent work experience;
- 7+ years of experience with nonprofit, advocacy, or social justice communications;
- Demonstrated experience developing and managing strategic communications campaigns, media relations and digital communications, with proven ability to write and edit persuasive materials on deadline;
- Multicultural competence and a commitment to to racial equity, gender justice, and to building a multicultural, anti-racist organization;
- Superb writing skills, including the ability to carefully target messaging, quickly turn around materials, and strategically execute rapid response to current events.
- Experience in copyediting with an excellent grasp of AP Style, grammar, and the editorial review process.
- Proven project management skills to effectively manage competing priorities;
- Experience conducting communications trainings and support for staff, community members, and allied organizations is a plus;
- Openness to ongoing learning and coaching from colleagues at every level, exhibiting a solution-oriented attitude and always leading with high integrity, camaraderie, and professionalism;
- Ability to travel to priority states a few times per year.
What we offer you in return and why you would love being a part of our team!
- We are 100% virtual, with travel required a few times a year for retreats and organizational events.
- Care is in our name, it is deeply embedded in our culture, and our team is mostly current or former caregivers. We are fully supportive of your well-being.
- We offer a generous virtual office budget which includes home office set up and a cellphone, internet stipend
- Generous Paid Time Off and work flexibility, time off in the summer for a mini-sabbatical, 15 paid Holidays, 12 days of PTO and 12 days of sick leave, Paid Family Leave, and time off at the end of the year (2 weeks which lead into the new year)
- 401k Match
- 100% paid Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. Long Term Disability is paid by the employee at a very minimal cost.
- We offer learning and growth opportunities, (including an allowance for Professional Development)
- You have an opportunity to live a values-aligned work-life.
- Employee Discount Programs with discounts in stores, travel, and restaurants all over.
- A fun team environment, even while we are busy changing the world
How to apply
Candidates will be considered on a rolling basis until it is filled, but preference will be given to those who apply by April 4th, 2023.
Please apply at this link: https://caringacross.bamboohr.com/careers/26
- A resume
- A cover letter explaining why you would be a good fit for this position
- Three media relations, marketing or strategic communications writing samples
Work schedule and organization details
This is a full-time, exempt position, with occasional evening and weekend work based on need. The salary is $90,000 based on experience.
Caring Across Generations is a project of and fiscally sponsored by, the National Domestic Workers Alliance.
Caring Across Generations is committed to fostering and maintaining a work environment where diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) are fully integrated into everything we do. As such, we strongly prioritize and embrace Black, Indigenous and people of color; a multigenerational workforce; LGBTQ+; those across religious and spiritual affiliations; and people with disabilities to join our representative and highly talented team.