April 28th, 2023
Job Title: Culture Change Manager
Status (FT/PT/Temporary): Full Time
Reports To: Associate Director of Culture Change
FLSA Status (Exempt/Non-Exempt): Exempt
Work Location: Remote with 15% travel expected for Caring Across events and staff retreats
Start Date: As soon as filled
Salary: $75,000-$80,000, based on experience
About Caring Across Generations:
Caring Across Generations is a national campaign working to make care more affordable and accessible at every stage of life, while ensuring caregivers – both family caregivers and professional care workers – people with disabilities, and aging adults are treated with respect and dignity.
Founded in 2011 by Sarita Gupta and Ai-jen Poo (who were the executive directors of Jobs with Justice and the National Domestic Workers Alliance, respectively), we take an explicitly intersectional approach to our work, connecting the dots between the urgent need to build a strong care infrastructure and the need for bold action on immigration reform, gender, racial, economic and disability justice, and addressing the growing needs of our aging population.
Our campaign is focused on creating change in three ways:
- Organizing a powerful movement of the Caring Majority – the majority of Americans who are directly affected by the need for care;
- Fighting for groundbreaking policy at the state and federal levels;
- Changing hearts and minds through storytelling and culture change campaigns to evolve the way our society relates to and values caregiving.
Our culture change work in 2022 included collaborating with the hit NBC series This Is Us on a multiplatform impact campaign, initiating a series of TikTok care influencer activations, leading the development and production of a groundbreaking commercial advertisement, billboard campaigns in Times Sq and Washington, D.C., and the launch of dedicated work within the entertainment industry, including an ongoing series of screenwriter salons to discuss how Hollywood can help rewrite the popular narrative on care.
Caring Across Generations is seeking a creative, strategic, organized, and self-motivated person to join our Culture Change team. To be a fit for this role you will have a passion for pop culture and a strong belief in the power of stories and other cultural products to change how people feel, think, and behave in the world. You have the interest and inclination to act as an interpreter between the communities we represent and culture creators, from artists to writers to influencers and more. You are excited to connect the dots between gender, racial, economic, and disability justice, and the growing need for care. And you’re a versatile multi-tasker who enjoys creative brainstorming as much as a strategic one, and can switch from project management to writing to networking in the course of a day!
The Culture Change Manager will work on a wide range of projects as part of the Culture Change team. Primarily, this role involves supporting our Associate Director on all aspects of Caring Across’ work with the entertainment industry, including content review and consultation, planning and executing industry-facing events, and the development and execution of impact campaigns and partnerships across TV, film, and documentaries. The Culture Change Manager will help the organization maintain relationships and communication with celebrity teams and content creators in our growing community. They will also support some of our newer partnerships and collaborations, like those we are exploring with brands, caregiving apps, and others in the ‘Fam-Tech’ space. The role will also involve collaborating closely with the rest of the culture change team, as well as the digital, communications, and campaigns teams.
Entertainment & Hollywood Strategy
- Support the Associate Director of Culture Change with project management of the Creative Care Council, driving the work behind the scenes and ensuring diligent management of celebrity relationships, opportunities, and Council strategy. This work includes drafting correspondence and updates, updating and maintaining the website and public-facing materials, and coordinating across teams to move work forward.
- Support the Associate Director of Culture Change and the digital team in the implementation of small and large-scale digital campaigns around strategic tv, film, and other pop culture products and moments that help make caregiving and caregivers more visible and valued.
- Support the production of high-quality content that centers caregivers and care recipients and aims to transform narratives around care. This could include managing the relationship with a production company and identifying and engaging distribution partners to disseminate the content at scale.
- Project manage and help organize salons, panels, and other events designed to gather and engage strategic audiences within the entertainment industry.
- In collaboration with the Communications & Culture Change Assistant, maintain a comprehensive database of contacts and relationships with organizational partners, cultural strategists, artists, creatives, influencers, and others from the entertainment industry.
Innovation & Impact (beyond Hollywood)
- With leadership from the Associate Director and, at times, the Chief of Narrative & Culture Change, explore and manage strategic partnerships and campaign opportunities with brands, apps, and others outside of the entertainment industry who have growing cultural influence and might have a stake in the issue of care.
- With leadership from the Chief of Narrative and Culture Change, support impact measurement processes and practices along with a toolbox of culture change tactics that are iterative and build from successes.
- Manage consultants as needed, including artists, designers, web developers, writers, and event production vendors.
- 2-3 years of experience working in social impact, with some experience in a creative field (could be culture change, communications, entertainment, advertising, PR, marketing, etc.)
- Strong project management skills, and a demonstrated ability to oversee projects from beginning to end while working across teams internally and externally
- A passion for cultural and narrative change strategy and tactics with at least beginner-level experience in cultural tactics that garner attention and move people to action.
- An appreciation of popular culture, especially TV, film, advertising, and digital media, but also sports, food, music, podcasts, and more.
- A demonstrated commitment to racial equity, and gender justice, and to empowering low- and moderate-income communities, communities of color, and immigrant communities.
- Strong time and people management skills, including demonstrated ability to think independently. Comfortable working with some ambiguity.
- Excellent verbal communication skills, great with relationship management across teams and partners, and strong, versatile writing skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Suites, social media fluency, and comfort with communicating across multiple channels (Slack, What’s App, etc) in a remote environment.
- Experience and expertise in digital marketing, social media, and familiarity with audience engagement tactics.
- An interest in Hollywood is essential. Some experience in film or TV would be a plus!
What we offer you in return and why you would love being a part of our team!
- We are 100% virtual.
- Care is in our name, it is deeply embedded in our culture, and our team is mostly current or former caregivers. We are fully supportive of your well-being.
- We offer a generous virtual office budget which includes a home office setup, a cell phone, and an internet stipend.
- Generous Paid Time Off and work flexibility, time off in the summer for a mini-sabbatical, 15 paid Holidays, 12 days of PTO and 12 days of sick leave, Paid Family Leave, and time off at the end of the year (2 weeks which lead into the new year).
- 401k Match.
- 100% paid Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, and Short Term Disability. Long Term Disability is paid by the employee at a very minimal cost.
- We offer learning and growth opportunities, including an allowance for Professional Development.
- You have an opportunity to live a values-aligned work-life.
- Employee Discount Programs with discounts at select stores travel and restaurants all over.
- A fun team environment, even while we are busy changing the world
How to Apply
Candidates will be considered on a rolling basis until it is filled, but preference will be given to those who apply by April 12th, 2023.
Please apply at this link: https://caringacross.bamboohr.com/careers/27
Please include a resumé, cover letter, and answers to these questions:
- Why are you interested in applying for this role? (200-word limit)
- Tell us about a time you used a cultural product, like a movie or TV show, or another tactic to change attitudes or behaviors, moving people to action. (200-word limit)
- Please provide a plan that you created for a creative project which you managed. (200-word limit)
Compensation, Benefits, and Work Schedule
This is a full-time, exempt position, with occasional evening and weekend work based on need. The annual salary will be $75,000 – $80,000.
Caring Across Generations is a project of, and fiscally sponsored by the National Domestic Workers Alliance.
Caring Across Generations is committed to fostering and maintaining a work environment where diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) are fully integrated into everything we do. As such, we strongly prioritize and embrace Black, Indigenous, and people of color; a multigenerational workforce; LGBTQ+; those across religious and spiritual affiliations; and people with disabilities to join our representative and highly talented team.